Our Heritage and Research team can assist you with our family history research resources. Visit us at Ngā Wāhi Rangahau on the first floor of Tauranga Library to make use of our vast selection of genealogy resources listed below.
Archives and Manuscripts
- Unique unpublished material. Diaries, letters, and other records of Bay of Plenty families, businesses, churches, clubs and organisations.
- Archdeacon Brown’s original papers (The Elms Collection – microfilms and typescripts available for access/viewing).
- Published and printed material
Family History Reference Collection
- Research Guides, shipping, map books, directories, Burke’s Peerage and dictionaries of surnames.
- Local histories, family histories, official war histories, school jubilee publications, biographies; Dictionary of New Zealand Biography: the latest (1990-2000) and Scholefield (1940); Who’s Who in New Zealand.
- Rare material, including all volumes of the Cyclopaedia of New Zealand (1897)
- New Zealand Genealogist
- Family Tree (UK and NZ versions)
- Practical Family History
- Family History Monthly
- he Volunteers (Military history)
- auranga Historical Society Journal
- Historical Review (Whakatane Historical Society)
- Ohinemuri Historical Society Journal
There are many useful journals – this is just a selection
Not everything is online!
- New Zealand births/deaths/marriages index 1840-1990
- Māori births/deaths 1913-1960
- Māori marriages 1911-1951
- Births/deaths/marriages from provincial newspapers and church records
- Directories and provincial rolls
- Accidents, obituaries, biographies, wills
- Cemetery transcripts
- Government – miscellaneous
- Māori land claims 1855-1955
- Military – miscellaneous including war deaths in both World Wars
- Patents 1860-1890
- Religion – officiating ministers 1848-1900
- Settlers and land – Canterbury, Otago, Taranaki
- Shipping – Comber Index, etc.
- Turnbull Biographies Index
- Women named in the Cyclopaedia of New Zealand
- Pre-1900 families index
- IGI New Zealand
- IGI England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Isle of Man, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Germany, Canada, Pacific Islands
- Australia: Victoria births/marriages 1853-1913, deaths 1853-1960; New South Wales births/deaths/marriages pre 1856-1905; South Australia, Northern Territories, Tasmania miscellaneous
- Electoral rolls, newspapers, Archdeacon Brown’s papers
- New Zealand Woman’s Weekly,
- Te Puke Times 1913-1975
- Daily Southern Cross 1861-1876
Maps and Charts
- Tauranga and districts from 1865
- Tauranga harbour and other New Zealand charts from mid-1800s
- Pacific voyages and early explorers
- The library subscribes to Ancestry.com, FindMyPast.com, MyHeritage and The British Newspaper Archive. These are all freely accessible on Public PCs in our library and in Ngā Wāhi Rangahau.
Tauranga archives online. Discover the diverse and unique stories of Tauranga Moana here: Pae Korokī
Genealogy computers in Research Collections
- Early Auckland Births & Deaths; BDMs from The New Zealander, Gallipoli; NZ Marriages; NZ Burial Locator; Tauranga Burials and Cremations; NZ Society of Genealogists’ Index; and other resources.
- Over 20,000 images on Pae Korokī, a searchable database of Tauranga Moana – people, places and events.
Bay of Plenty Newspapers
- Bay of Plenty Times 1872 to date (microfilm or 12 month back issue of printed papers), indexed 1872-1920, 1980 to date Daily Southern Cross 1861-1876 (microfilm)
- Te Puke Times 1913-1975 (microfilm; 1970 missing), 1976 to date (hard copy)
- Bay of Plenty Mirror 1972-1974
- Tauranga Argus and Tauranga Record 1866-1868
- Bay Sun 1975-1988
- Katikati Advertiser 1969 to date (microfilm or hard copy)
- Tauranga Photo News 1962-1970
- Mount News 1975-1985 (microfilm)
- Mount and Papamoa Times 1990-2001
- Bay News 1991 to date
- Weekend Sun 2001 to date
New Zealand Directories
- Tauranga Burgess Rolls 1886 – 1891; 1893 – 1900
- Local electoral rolls for Tauranga
- Parliamentary electoral rolls for New Zealand: microfilm 1854 to early 1900s, 1941, 1949; microfiche 1898 – 1938, 1943, 1946, 1954 – 81; hard copy 1984 to the latest version
- Wises: microfiche 1866 – 1955; hard copy 1911, 1939, 1956, 1957, 1958
- Wises Te Puke 1892 – 1951; Te Puna 1910 – 1951; Maketu 1910 – 1925; Katikati 1891 – 1951
- A selection of hard copy directories for the 19th and 20th centuries for different regions of New Zealand.
- Current New Zealand wide telephone books
- Historic Bay of Plenty telephone directories
- Māori Reference Collection including family reunions, Waitangi Tribunal reports, Raupatu document bank, Tauranga Māori Land Court Minute Books.
Full access available at your library
- British Newspaper Archive
Search newspaper pages from the British Library’s vast collection.
- Find My Past
Search through billions of family history records from across the globe, including birth, marriage and death records, census records, military records, historical newspapers and lots more.
Trace your family history across billions of records, including census, vital, military and immigration records from the United Kingdom, Ireland, United States, Europe, Australia and New Zealand (Access normally available within the library only. Temporary access from home has been provided by Ancestry for a limited time. You will need your library card and PIN).
- MyHeritage Library Edition
The MyHeritage database includes birth, death and marriage records from 48 countries, the complete U.S. and U.K. censuses, immigration, military and tombstone records and more than 3 billion family tree profiles.
- Tauranga City Council Online Cemeteries Database
Information regarding burial locations for all six cemeteries operated by Tauranga City Council; however it does not include Mission Cemetery or Māori burial grounds information.
- Archives New Zealand
Te Rua Mahara o te Kawanatanga is the official guardian of New Zealand’s public archives.
- Papers Past
Digitised NZ newspapers, letters, diaries, magazines and parliamentary papers from the 19th and 20th centuries.
- Family Search
Images and index of ship passenger lists from 1839 – 1973.
- The Ultimate Guide to Census Records
US Census Records and general information around what these records can reveal about your family history.
- NZ Society of Genealogists
Assistance for people wishing to compile family histories from sources in NZ and overseas.
Family History Charts
Last Reviewed: 18/03/2021