Our Heritage and Research team can assist you with our family history research resources. Visit us at He Puna Wānanga - Heritage & Research at He Puna Manawa, 21 Devonport Road to make use of our vast selection of genealogy resources listed below.
- Published and printed material
Family History Reference Collection
- Research Guides, shipping, map books, directories, Burke’s Peerage and dictionaries of surnames.
- Local histories, family histories, official war histories, school jubilee publications, biographies; Dictionary of New Zealand Biography: the latest (1990-2000) and Scholefield (1940); Who’s Who in New Zealand, Tauranga Photo News 1962-1970.
- New Zealand Genealogist
- Family Tree (UK and NZ versions)
- Practical Family History
- Family History Monthly
- he Volunteers (Military history)
- Tauranga Historical Society Journal
- Historical Review (Whakatane Historical Society)
- Ohinemuri Historical Society Journal
There are many useful journals – this is just a selection
New Zealand Directories
- Tauranga Burgess Rolls 1886 – 1891; 1893 – 1900
- Local electoral rolls for Tauranga
- Parliamentary electoral rolls for New Zealand: microfilm 1854 to early 1900s, 1941, 1949; microfiche 1898 – 1938, 1943, 1946, 1954 – 81; hard copy 1984 to the latest version
- Wises: microfiche 1866 – 1955; hard copy 1911, 1939, 1956, 1957, 1958
- Wises Te Puke 1892 – 1951; Te Puna 1910 – 1951; Maketu 1910 – 1925; Katikati 1891 – 1951
- A selection of hard copy directories for the 19th and 20th centuries for different regions of New Zealand.
- Current New Zealand wide telephone books
- Historic Bay of Plenty telephone directories
- Māori Reference Collection including family reunions, Waitangi Tribunal reports, Raupatu document bank, Tauranga Māori Land Court Minute Books.
Not everything is online!
- New Zealand births/deaths/marriages index 1840-1990
- Māori births/deaths 1913-1960
- Māori marriages 1911-1951
- Births/deaths/marriages from provincial newspapers and church records
- Directories and provincial rolls
- Accidents, obituaries, biographies, wills
- Cemetery transcripts
- Government – miscellaneous
- Māori land claims 1855-1955
- Military – miscellaneous including war deaths in both World Wars
- Patents 1860-1890
- Religion – officiating ministers 1848-1900
- Settlers and land – Canterbury, Otago, Taranaki
- Shipping – Comber Index, etc.
- Turnbull Biographies Index
- Women named in the Cyclopaedia of New Zealand
- Pre-1900 families index
- IGI New Zealand
- IGI England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Isle of Man, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Germany, Canada, Pacific Islands
- Australia: Victoria births/marriages 1853-1913, deaths 1853-1960; New South Wales births/deaths/marriages pre 1856-1905; South Australia, Northern Territories, Tasmania miscellaneous
- Electoral rolls, newspapers, Archdeacon Brown’s papers
- New Zealand Woman’s Weekly,
- Te Puke Times 1913-1975
- Daily Southern Cross 1861-1876
- The library subscribes to Ancestry.com, FindMyPast.com, MyHeritage. These are all freely accessible on Public PCs in our library and in He Puna Wānanga - Heritage & Research.
- The Research PCs in He Puna Wānanga - Heritage & Research contain Early Auckland Births & Deaths; BDMs from The New Zealander, Gallipoli; NZ Marriages; NZ Burial Locator; Tauranga Burials and Cremations; NZ Society of Genealogists’ Index; and other resources.
Tauranga archives online. Discover the diverse and unique stories of Tauranga Moana, our digitised archives, maps, images and publications, here: Pae Korokī
Resources available by appointment:
- Archives and manuscripts, Unique unpublished material. Diaries, letters, and other records of Bay of Plenty families, businesses, churches, clubs and organisations.
- Archdeacon Brown’s original papers (The Elms Collection – microfilms and typescripts available for access/viewing).
- Sladden collection and rare material, including all volumes of the Cyclopaedia of New Zealand (1897)
- Munro collection
- Maps and charts - Tauranga and districts from 1865, Tauranga harbour and other New Zealand charts from mid-1800s, Pacific voyages and early explorers
- Hard copy newspapers, including:
- Te Puke Times 1976 to date
- Bay of Plenty Mirror 1972-1974
- Tauranga Argus and Tauranga Record 1866-1868
- Bay Sun 1975-1988
- Katikati Advertiser 1969 to date
- Mount and Papamoa Times 1990-2001
- Bay News 1991 to date
- Weekend Sun 2001 to date
Full access available at your library
- Find My Past
Search through billions of family history records from across the globe, including birth, marriage and death records, census records, military records, historical newspapers and lots more.
Trace your family history across billions of records, including census, vital, military and immigration records from the United Kingdom, Ireland, United States, Europe, Australia and New Zealand.
- MyHeritage Library Edition
The MyHeritage database includes birth, death and marriage records from 48 countries, the complete U.S. and U.K. censuses, immigration, military and tombstone records and more than 3 billion family tree profiles.
- Tauranga City Council Online Cemeteries Database
Information regarding burial locations for all six cemeteries operated by Tauranga City Council; however it does not include Mission Cemetery or Māori burial grounds information.
- Archives New Zealand
Te Rua Mahara o te Kawanatanga is the official guardian of New Zealand’s public archives.
- Papers Past
Digitised NZ newspapers, letters, diaries, magazines and parliamentary papers from the 19th and 20th centuries.
- Family Search
Images and index of ship passenger lists from 1839 – 1973.
- The Ultimate Guide to Census Records
US Census Records and general information around what these records can reveal about your family history.
- NZ Society of Genealogists
Assistance for people wishing to compile family histories from sources in NZ and overseas.
Family History Charts