It is quick and easy to join the library. Library membership is free to all Tauranga residents. You can also join if you live in the following locations: Whakatane, Opotiki, Edgecumbe, Kawerau, Rotorua, Taupo, Te Puke, Katikati and Waihi Beach.
All you need is:
- Proof of identity, with your name and signature, such as driver’s licence, student ID or passport.
- Proof of your home address, such as a power bill or bank statement addressed to you.
Visit any of our libraries to join or apply online below. You have 14 days to collect your card after application.
Digital Only Membership
You can apply for a digital only membership and begin borrowing our eResources right away. Simply select ‘apply online’ then ‘digital only membership’ and finish filling out your details. You will not need to provide us with proof of identity, or proof of your home address.
You can view our adult membership terms and conditions (64kb pdf) and the young person's membership terms and conditions (64kb pdf).
You are welcome to join as a visitor, for a fee of $10 per month or $90 per year.
Your parent or guardian needs to come with you, and sign the Young Person's Membership Form as your Guarantor. They will need to bring their own photo ID and proof of address.
Yes, you can still join the library. Your library card will be posted to you, for use from that point forward.
You can borrow up to 40 items on your library card at any one time as a Tauranga resident, 10 items if you are a visitor, or 60 for an organisation (conditions apply).
When an item is issued, the library provides a printed slip showing the due date of the item. We suggest you keep this slip somewhere handy, and keep an eye on when your items are due back to the library.
When you join, you will be given the choice of email or print notices, and we are able to send you emails three days before your items are due. We recommend this choice.
When you apply for and sign your library card, you are agreeing to our terms and conditions that ensure all our items are returned and accounted for by you, the library card holder.
As a library card holder or guarantor you are responsible for:
- All items borrowed on your card
- Returning items by the due date
- All fees and charges on your card
- Any loss or damage to items borrowed on your card
- Resolving any charges within 30 days of the date incurred
- Informing us when your card is lost or stolen
- Informing us of any change of address
- Producing your card for every visit
Last Reviewed: 30/03/2020